News & Events
How does Frontier Pyrolysis GC-MS work?
Learn more about Pyrolysis GC/MS and how the Frontier Pyrolysis solution can accelerate your analysis.
How Does Frontier Pyrolysis GCMS Work?
Frontier Pyrolysis GC-MS is a powerful and simple technique comprised of a Frontier Pyrolyzer coupled with a gas chromatography mass spectrometer system. Using this technique, sufficient amount of heat is used to break down the organic bonds of a complex species into smaller and stable molecules referred to as pyrolyzates. The pyrolyzates form and their relative intensities provide insight into the nature of the original material.
This technique has a wide variety of applications for identifying organic composition of unknown samples by providing detail information about the compounds present in a sample: molecular formula, structure, and eluting time. In addition, Pyrolysis GC-MS is used for identification of complex polymers, copolymers, volatiles, and additives. This technique which can be used both qualitatively and quantitatively, allows multiple and customized analysis on the same sample. Some analytical techniques using Frontier Pyrolysis are listed below as examples. These techniques help you quickly solve the most difficult analytical challenges in an efficient and effective way.
- Evolved Gas Analysis (EGA): Referred to as “road map”, this technique determines the thermal profile of the sample complexity when gases evolved during a customized programmed heating are transferred directly into the MS.
- Single-Shot Analysis: Simple and fast technique for flash-Pyrolysis.
- Double-Shot Analysis: Solid technique for identifying volatile fractions (residual solvents, additives, monomers, oligomers, etc.) as well as determination of polymeric fragments and the breakdown of the compounds seen in Desorption.
- Heart Cuts (HC): Powerful technique for discovering detailed composition information of each thermal zone obtained from EGA.
- Reactive Pyrolysis (RxPY): Valuable technique for fully characterizing a complex matrix in which target compounds cannot be separated and yield overlapping ion fragments. RxPY derivatizes the target compounds for easy MS detection and quantification.
What sets Frontier Pyrolyzers apart from others?
Unlike other Pyrolyzer units coupled to the GC-MS by a long transfer line, a Frontier Pyrolyzer is connected directly to the GC inlet and uses a micro furnace that is directly thermocouple regulated for precise and reproducible temperature control. Frontier’s Pyrolyzer well-engineered technology protects the introduced sample from any thermal exposure prior to pyrolysis and eliminates the chances of evaporation, degradation, and thermosetting.
Providing the users with different type of cups based on the application, the sample is easily placed inside the sample cup and automatically introduced into the Pyrolyzer for composition analysis. This reliable instrumentation is user friendly and requires low maintenance as opposed to other Pyrolyzer units demanding high maintenance and supplies. The Frontier Pyrolyzer provides reliability, precision, automation, and an advanced technology that can be used in various industries, such as automotive, coating, inks, plastic formulation, electronic, forensics, and medical devices.
On-Demand Webinar: Discover Next Generation Frontier Lab Multi-Shot Pyrolyzer
Want to learn more about the Frontier Pyrolyzer? This on-demand webinar highlights the Frontier Lab Multi-Shot Pyrolyzer EGA/PY-3030D and the advantages it can bring to your laboratory.
Learn more about the Frontier Pyrolyzer products that we offer.
Simple but effective pyrolysis for any type of isothermal sample introduction to GC or GC/MS from 40-800ᵒC.
Elegantly designed for qualitative and quantitative analysis with excellent accuracy and precision—guaranteed!